Google Analytics

Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Past Experience Dealing With Customer Service of A Large Corporation

When my family and I relocated to Oceanside from Toronto Canada, we had to establish telephone service in our new home.  because our oldest son was still living in Canada at the time, international calling was a must have feature for any service package we'd choose. So we contacted AT&T and processed our order for a service contract.

The service order was placed over the phone and a customer service representative took my order, repeated it back to me to insure that I would receive a service plan right for me.

The problem began with the first bill. There were over $900 in charges for international calls to Toronto, Canada.  With the service plan I ordered, these charges should have been a maximum of $45.00.  So began my customer service nightmare.

It took 8 calls, each lasting an average of 50+ minutes.  On every single call, I was transferred no less than four time. And, on every call, I was disconnected at least once. I was provide misleading and in a few instances, false information by customer service reps.   It was very frustrating.

Do I believe that by utilizing social media I could have achieved a quicker more satisfying customer service experience.  Or at the very least, have made my problems and dissatisfaction known to the company on a deeper level? 
I thank that the answer to that question is a resounding 'Yes."  I could have written a description of the experience on Yelp.  I could have Tweeted about the problems with AT&T and invited others to share their experiences of poor customer service. And even notified others about a blog I could have started with content all about how much AT&T frustrates their customers.  I've even heard of others starting Facebook pages dedicated to voicing an opinion about a company.

I could have spoken with a voice, amplified by the power of social media, powerful enough to make my individual frustration known to a multinational behemoth.

1 comment:

  1. True! When it's public distaste, companies like to take notice and take care of it. What a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete